Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Happy anniversary, baby.

Two years ago today, Matt and I got to stand by a picturesque beach in front of our family and close friends in a beautiful ceremony that had us both gushing tears the entire time.

Today, our alarm went off at 5am, and we got ready to head off to another day of work. I'm a good forty pounds heavier than I was when I slid into my little white dress, and words probably can't quantify just how much less glamorous I feel today than I did then.

But I feel no less blessed or fortunate. Only more so. The emotions that marked that day--gratitude, joy, a certain amazed disbelief at my own happy fortune--have only grown stronger over the past two years, when I've learned more ways to give to and receive from and be with someone than I ever would have thought possible in such a short time.

As we celebrate the bittersweet ending and beginning that is our last anniversary as just the two of us, I can look back and see the many ways we've fulfilled the promises we made to each other that day. Decked out in our finery on June 2nd, 2007, we didn't anticipate how quickly we'd be called on to stick together through better and for worse. We also didn't realize how much better things could continue to get. I didn't know how much harder--but ultimately more meaningful--it would be to present myself to someone in stretch marks and water weight than it would be in pearls and heels. And I couldn't have imagined all the ways I would be loved--by someone who holds my hair back when I throw up, helps me heave myself out of bed for the tenth time each night, who finds my lost keys every morning, and who constantly looks for more and better ways to give of himself and to love me.

To the man who is continually amazing me with what a wonderful husband, partner, and friend you are, and who I know will do the same, in just a few short weeks, with what an amazing father you'll be--

thank you, for everything.

1 comment:

HAPTeach said...

Congratulations you two! Happy Anniversary!!!!!