Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Salmon chowder

I couldn't find a recipe for the kind of salmon chowder I wanted to make, so I had to come up with one myself.

Salmon Chowder
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 Tbsp dill
1 Tbsp parsley
~1/2 lb salmon fillets
3 medium carrots
2 medium stalks celery
2 medium potatoes
1/2 onion
1/4 cup butter or lard
1/4 cup flour
1 cup frozen, fresh, or canned corn
4 cups of whole milk
2-3 Tbsp salt
Sprinkling of cracked pepper

Heat oven to 450. Drizzle the melted butter in a 9x9 or similar pan that the salmon will fit in. Sprinkle herbs on top. Place salmon, skin side up, and cook for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for another side or until salmon is flaky and opaque. Peel off skin, flake salmon, and set aside.

Melt the 1/4 cup butter or lard over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the vegetables, saute 5 minutes or until lightly cooked. Add flour and stir until vegetables are coated and flour is lightly cooked. Add milk and simmer until thickened, 10-15 minutes. Stir in salmon, corn salt, and pepper, and simmer until vegetables are soft.
I give this a 10 and Matt likes it quite a bit too. Creamy, a little bit sweet, and not too fishy at all. There would probably be an easier way to cook the salmon--maybe poaching in the milk or a little broth?--but this is how I'm used to cooking it and so it works well that way for me.

1 comment:

Virginia Ruth said...

I just made this - it's delicious! Thanks!