Friday, May 6, 2011

Settling in


Eve is 11 days old, and of course by now it feels like we've always had her. She's a very easygoing baby so far, and she's even up at night less than I had anticipated--two facts we're grateful for. I'm also incredibly thankful that Eden is turning out to be a doting and proud older sister. She's extremely sweet and loving toward Eve, constantly wanting to give her kisses, hold her, and share her things with her, and has really not acted jealous or anything like that at all. If anything, I'd have to say that Eden's behavior has gotten better since we had Eve. She's really risen to the occasion. Not to say that we don't still have our challenges, like today, when I found myself struggling to keep my patience after repeating, for the 1000th time (today) things like "Keep the sand in the sandbox," and "We only draw on paper." But I try to remind myself that these things are completely appropriate to her age and stage, and not something she's doing to personally drive me insane. I think.


Matt is back at work after 10 days off, and that is going well. I feel 200% more relaxed about him going back at a week with Eve than I did when he went back after a month when we had Eden. I think there are a few reasons for that: she was our first baby and we were new at everything; we had no family nearby, and our good friends weren't ones who lived close; and I'm also feeling better physically, from an easier pregnancy and birth this time around. It's still probably not quite as much rest as we midwives would prescribe our clients at this point in the postpartum period, but on the whole, I'm really blessed to be feeling quite well. And I'm relishing the fact that it's so much easier to do things like get dressed, pick things up off the floor, and chase Eden around. Because any mother-of-a-toddler knows that picking things up and chasing someone around are pretty much the stuff of life at this point.

Interestingly, the transition from one to two children that I was so worried about has been so seamless that it's been almost totally eclipsed by the fact that we're suddenly in the process of launching a homebirth midwifery practice. While it's not exactly the timing I would have chosen, we're doing our best to trust and have faith that all is working out as it's meant to, and that this is what we're supposed to do. I feel lucky to have a family that rallies around me at a time like this, and so between my ever-supportive husband, siblings who are willing to volunteer their time and talents, and my parents' willingness to lend a hand with both girls wherever possible--I'm doing my best to count my blessings, rather than stress about what's ahead. So instead, I try to focus on what fills my days right now: a deliciously tiny and sleepy newborn, and a delightful almost-2-year-old, who still wants me to rock and sing her to sleep and who can't get enough of snuggling her baby sister. When I look at it that way, my heart feels so full, and the days are pure magic.

But I still wish she'd keep the sand in the sandbox.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Well, one thing she and Eden have in common -- the camera loves her!