Thursday, July 26, 2007

Today was a busy, stressful day...we kicked it off with a visit to the vet's office to catch Patches and Scratches up on their vaccinations. This is something I'm not always right on top of since they're strictly indoor cats who only have contact with each other, and thus I feel like the chances of a vaccine reaction are probably statistically more likely (especially after having a full set of vaccinations when they were kittens, which some say is wholly sufficient) than the chance that they'll contract a major illness. However, I worried that our landlords or the city of Washington might be strict about such things, and so we relented and took them in. Scratches, our lovely, sensitive, 5-year-old gray cat, ended up having a vaccine reaction and had to stay at the vet's office on Benadryl and steroids all afternoon. We were heartbroken at the thought of losing him, but his full recovery has reminded us of all that we really do have to be thankful for in the midst of what seems like a stressful time.

In lighter news, my sister came over for dinner tonight. The Wedge was one of the last stops on our must-eat-before-leaving list (also including the amazing Thai Spice, India Cafe, the Atlas, and more), and then we topped it off with a little back-to-school shopping. I think a good time was had by all, and it helped ease my anxiety about the transition to a life in which my clothing is not mandated, provided and laundered for me by my employer; not all the same color and style; not fully reversible; and when it's not considered acceptable to wear the exact same thing every single day. It's going to be a real bummer...but life is full of compromises, I guess.

Otherwise, we spent a lot of time packing and consolidating boxes so that my mom and brother can come help us load our truck tomorrow before the Katie Party, which I'm doing my best not to accept as the last time I see my co-workers but which may, in fact, be the last time (for awhile, at least) that I will see the artists formerly known as my co-workers.

No comments: