Saturday, May 16, 2009

And hello, here we are.

All I can say is that someone was watching out for old Matt and Katie the past couple of days, because despite our desire to move in on Thursday and the seeming agreement of our landlords that it would be possible to do so, we were in fact unable to do so, a fact which left us incredibly frustrated. Friday was supposed to be rainy, I was supposed to work all night, and let's face it, we were starting to get a little impatient.

But, Friday was what it ended up being, and it ended up working out very well.

Friday arrived relatively cool and sunny, an absolutely perfect day for a move--much better than Thursday afternoon, which was muggy and somewhat wet. A friend of Matt's helped us out, and boy, the difference between that and my somewhat-pitiful contributions to our past moves (this is prior to becoming pregnant, mind you, but WHY do I always wind up working nights the week we move?!) became evident as they finished the entire thing in four hours flat. We still have the unpacking to do, of course, but both of them seemed to reap great enjoyment from seeing how quickly they could run around and get large pieces of furniture from one apartment to the other. (I have never reaped anything like that from similar behavior.) Feeling like quite the stereotypical pregnant wife, I did things like slowly carry pillows out to the truck, wipe down the appliances, and go out and pick up lunch and cold beverages. And, of course, gestate. Those things are important too, right?!

So I would have been in a perfect position to get some sleep and go into work last night, except that I seem to have picked up a bug somewhere that has me confusing my rear end with a hot water faucet. (I don't want to say too much, but "Honey, am I getting hemorrhoids or has somebody REALLY been after me back there with sandpaper" probably saw the shredding of the last vestiges of mystique that remained after morning sickness, stretch marks, and ankles like water balloons. There, I think maybe I did say too much.) I've worked in L&D long enough to know that dehydration in pregnant ladies leads to contractions, and indeed it did, and I realized that if I were a patient of mine and having the same symptoms, there is no WAY I (or any other doctor or nurse, for that matter) would advise staying up and on one's feet all night. Luckily, the nurse I talked to at work felt the same way, and so I was able to lie low and try to nurse myself back to health.

Today, I managed to sleep until noon and am hoping to go into work tonight. My body is still showing signs of being somewhat dehydrated, but I'm pushing fluids and keeping them in better, and the baby seems as frisky as ever, which is a reassuring sign. Then again, I've only been up for an hour, so we'll see how the day unfolds.

Matt is off at a volunteer day in Amish country, which those of you who know me will realize is only my greatest dream in the whole world come true, but alas, being pregnant seems to mean that you no longer push your body to the extreme just because there's something fun going on, and so I fully recognize that the only option is to stay home and rest and hydrate. It also gives me the chance to catch up on some schoolwork, something that's been taking a backseat to moving for the past week or so.

I took a few pictures of our apartment, but realized on reviewing them that there's really not anything interesting about an unpacked (not even HALF or SEMI unpacked) apartment, so I guess I'll save that for when we have more to show for ourselves.

No comments: