Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bittersweet goodbye

our last dinner on our patio--one of the things we'll miss about this apartment

I know this is completely silly when we're moving less than a block away, when our new apartment will be virtually identical to the old one except for an extra bedroom, and when we're getting such a good deal that we're actually paying less for it than we were for the smaller one.

Then why can't I help feeling choked up (and not just a little bit) whenever it hits me that we're really leaving here--that last night was our last night here?

I think partially it's because of all we've been through here. We were newlyweds in DC and Iowa City, but I feel like we really became who we are as a couple here in this apartment. We've been through so many good times and hard times in just a year and a half, and for the most part, the stage has been set here--so much good cooking, so many formative conversations, so many life decisions. Living here spanned from my law school days to the brink of starting our family, and there's been so much that's taken place in between.

And, as Matt wisely pointed out, I think there's something counter-instinctual about being 8 months pregnant and tearing down and leaving the nest, when all you want to do is hunker down and find a safe space. I know the new apartment will be that safe space, and that in a couple of days I'll probably barely notice we've moved.

But still, it isn't easy.

No comments: