Monday, May 18, 2009

Verdict on jam & Pomona's pectin

Eh. That's all I can say about it.

Which, when you're talking about the ethereal combination of strawberries and rhubarb, is actually pretty abysmal.

The jelly didn't totally...jell, but that's my fault because I misunderstood the order in which to add the pectin packet and the "calcium water."

Runny texture I can handle, but bland, watery flavor is another matter.

Granted, the strawberries we used were early, somewhat watery ones from the farmer's market, but I don't know that that would have made all the difference. And it is certainly less sugar than I'm used to seeing in jam, but the ratio was similar to what we use for Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp filling, which is always, in my humble opinion, DELICIOUS, so it's hard to say.

In the meantime, I'll eat it, but I'm disappointed. And Matt brought me back a couple of pounds of fresh rhubarb from Amish country, so I'm tempted to make up a batch of Sure-Jell jam with it, but I'm thinking that Custard with Rhubarb Sauce seems like a delicious, high-protein way to eat it up as well.

No comments: