Monday, July 27, 2009

A new chapter

Today, Matt goes back to work after having spent the past month on paternity leave. Ever since Eden was born, the three of us have barely left each other's sides, and it's been an indescribably wonderful, magical time. I don't know how I would have gotten through the first month postpartum without him, and I know that the reason I'm feeling great and functioning well is because of all the meals he's cooked, diapers he's changed, loads of laundry he's done, dishes he's washed, burps he's coaxed (out of the baby), and the countless hours we've spent just falling in love as a family. His love, tenderness, and support bring tears to my eyes.

So, while it wasn't without tears that I sent him off too work this morning, it was with a profound gratitude for the time we were able to spend together.

Fittingly, Eden also turns 1 month old today, meaning she's no longer a newborn. It seems like an appropriate time to turn the page from the suspended animation we've been in for the past 28 days, and begin the rest of our lives.

In honor of the occasion, here's a compilation of the pregnancy, birth, and first month with Eden.

Song: Praan by Gary Schyman

4 comments:

Shelley Sullens said...

Absolutely lovely and touching...get the hankies! We are so proud of all of you... sweetest love to our dear little family:)

Mary said...

I had to watch it 3 times because the tears made it blurry and I missed alot. We love you all so much and can't wait to see you all.

Becky said...

Love it katie!!!! She is beautiful and I am glad you are enjoying motherhood so much!

Willa said...

Katie, this is the most beautiful, touching thing I've ever seen, especially accompanied by the words in your blog...glorious! And Matt warned me, but I watched and wept! You two...no, you THREE, are simply amazing, fabulous people ~ I'm so lucky to be a friend and not "just" Matt's co-worker. Knowing you continues to be a blessing in my life. God bless you and your beautiful family.