Saturday, July 11, 2009

Out & about with Eden


We've had Eden out for a little walk or outing most days that we've had her, but last night we went on our first major "date" as a family: out to eat at Chipotle. (They're cheap, they're tasty, and they're sustainable, which are three major reasons we like to eat there. A fourth is that they're close by.) We ate outside, enjoyed our food and the 75-degree weather, and got lots of smiles and nice comments on our baby. After that, we took her (with Matt carrying her in a sling) for a walk around the Reston Town Center, where several people did a double take and said "Whoa, oh my goodness, there's a baby in there!" Evidently babies in slings aren't a particularly common sight around these parts? After the second or third time, Matt told me he was going to start telling people, "No, I just keep my gun and my smack in here."

On the way back to the car, we walked past a couple of older ladies dining outside who absolutely gushed over Eden, complimented Matt highly on being the one to carry/wear the baby, and told me how fantastic I was looking postpartum. Boy, you can't BUY that kind of three-for-one flattery. We'll have to keep taking these little walks!

One of my favorite comments of the evening came when we stopped into Whole Foods to pick up an item or two and a man in line asked about Eden, "She's what, around two or three...?" And Matt filled in "Actually, just one and a half." He said "Yep, I didn't think that baby was more than about two months old." And I had to correct him "Uh, no, that's one and a half weeks." He looked startled, then said "Oh boy, that's a big baby!" Yes, she is. And she's all ours.

4 comments:

Mary said...

This latest picture is the most beautiful yet!! It is getting harder and harder to wait until the end of the month to see all of you.

Susan said...

What a beautiful girl?!?!?!?
Congratulations Matt & Katie!!

Unknown said...

Is there a Happy Family Watch in your neighborhood? Because I think you set off the alarm. The grandparents must be losing their minds with anticipation!

Lorri said...

Katie - I would like to get Eden a gift!!!! Is there anything she needs? Aunt Lorri