Monday, December 8, 2008

Washington Not-So-Mutual

This past week I received a notice in the mail that a credit card I held with Washington Mutual had been closed. To quote the letter I received: "Because the account has not been used in 12 months, we assume that you no longer have need for it and have closed your account." Also, it was closed back in NOVEMBER, but they sent the notice out three weeks later. WTF?! No "If you'd like to keep it open, please do the following," or any kind of way out, just "We assume." Well, we know where that gets you!

This really burns me up because it was a card I kept for two reasons: emergencies, and also because it gave me free access to my credit score, something that's worth a considerable amount to me, especially after my laptop was stolen last year. I called to see if there was anything I could do to change it, and they said "No." So I told the customer service representative, "I know this isn't your fault and you're just doing your job, but I just want to let you know that as a loyal customer who always paid her bills on time and who kept that card for emergencies, to find out that all of a sudden I no longer have that card to rely on for emergencies, and I was given no say in the matter, is really offensive, and I hope you'll pass it on up that the customers find this to be a very shitty public-relations move. I won't be seeking another card with your company and I will recommend that others avoid it as well."

I doubt she will, and she didn't seem very concerned about my offended dignity, but at least I said my piece. And included the word "shitty" while I was at it.

1 comment:

trebomb said...

Maybe if someone cancels your home equity line, you'll get to use the F word!