Wednesday, March 11, 2009

More Bread

Recently I posted that I was going to give this bread recipe a try. I mixed up the starter and about five days later, pulled the whole thing out, let it rise (which it didn't really--it more collapsed into a puddle, but that seems to be okay), and baked it according to the directions. It worked out really well. It seemed to have a more developed flavor than other no-knead bread we've tried, and the amount made for a nice, round, full loaf (previous no-kneads have come out kind of flat--fine for dipping in soup, but not great for making sandwiches). Here it is:

the spots on top are flour

I liked the flexibility of just having it on hand in the fridge, though I wish I could get away from the 2-3 hour rise time! On the whole, though, I'd definitely make this again. Note: This recipe seems to imply that you can get away with rising it for 30 minutes, which I'll definitely be trying!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would hate to potentially steer you in the wrong direction, but I can tell you that I have been making the basic country loaf (1/2 whole wheat version) just letting it rise while the oven preheats (15-20 minutes). I'm sure it's not the best practice, but the loaf turns out good enough to make us plenty happy, and we eat a lot of bread. (In case it matters, I tend to make small loaves and work with dough that's been refrigerated at least overnight but not more than a week.)

I recently discovered your blog and have been enjoying it immensely.