Sunday, March 8, 2009

Weekend Update

So far we've been having an excellent weekend. Friday night, we kicked off birthday weekend (my birthday is on Tuesday) by redeeming my free birthday noodle bowl from Noodles & Company. There was a Baskin-Robbins a few blocks away and so we were also able to scoop up my free birthday cone as well. We came home and rented Elektra via iTunes to cap off the night. The tab for dinner, dessert, and a movie? $8.48. Well within the confines of a $10 date!

Elektra was OK--entertaining, but riddled with plot holes and completely in a different vein than its companion film Daredevil, which we enjoyed last weekend. And renting from iTunes is something I think we're going to stop--the selection isn't what we had hoped it would be, it takes us four hours to download a single movie at any time of day (which I think maybe has something to do with our internet plan, but who knows), and at $2.99 a movie, it's cheaper than the movie store but more expensive than renting a movie per weekend through Netflix. I know we just canceled our Netflix policy, but we're actually considering going back...who knows. The weather is nice again, so we may not.

Yesterday we went to a free "Cloth Diapers 101" session put on by a nearby small business owned by a local mom. We learned an absolute ton, had a wonderful time, and came away with some really helpful ideas. The owner is so helpful and knowledgeable, and it's always wonderful to find a resource like that nearby.

It broke the $10 date rule, but we'd saved up for a little bit to go out for lunch to our favorite Indian buffet. It did not disappoint, although the fact that I got a turmeric stain on my new favorite maternity tank top did...we're still trying to work on that. The lunch was delicious and, of course, necessitated a nap once we got home. I also wasn't feeling great yesterday--I seemed to be retaining a lot of water. My hands, feet, and face felt painfully puffy, and so we spent the afternoon at home, resting and drinking lots of fluids. Today, my wedding ring is fitting just like old times, and I no longer feel like the face in the mirror is twice the size of what I'm used to looking at. I think being on my feet for long shifts on Thursday and Friday had just taken its toll on me. Luckily, I've been blessed with a wonderful husband who will encourage/force me to lie down, put my feet up, and rest at times like these, and it seems to have been just what I needed.

Today, we got up and had the usual Sunday crepe buffet and plan to spend much of the day getting our apartment organized. We made a really fruitful trip to the dumpster behind our building last night and came up with a bookshelf, a 13-gallon kitchen trash can that we'll use for recycling (we're currently using three office-sized wastepaper baskets, which are really a pain because they fill up so fast), two brooms and a dustpan, a vacuum (which Matt cleaned out and now works just great), a small folding table (so we don't have to set beverages on the floor when we watch movies and pray the cats don't knock them over), and three huge blue glass canisters that will be GREAT for storing grains etc. There was also an entertainment center which I really wanted pretty badly, but that sucker was incredibly heavy and being almost six months pregnant, I'm somewhat less willing to strain myself moving heavy furniture than I might otherwise have been. We took it as a sign and left it for someone with a more able-bodied accomplice. We also received a free Pump in Style double electric breastpump off Freecycle, which is around a $300 value. We'll just need to purchase new tubing and accessories (the only parts that actually come in contact with your body or your milk) for a cost of around $30. What a day!

No comments: