Sunday, March 1, 2009

WATCH THIS

from A Doula Story

A Doula Story, despite its cable-television-sounding name, is a a wonderfully inspiring and beautifully produced 1-hour documentary about a woman in inner-city Chicago (a former teen mom herself) who devotes herself to educating and supporting pregnant teenagers. I wish all pregnant women had access to this kind of information and support--her girls are far more educated about their bodies and their choices than 99.9% of the middle-to-high-income women I see every day. It also reaffirmed for me how INCREDIBLY difficult it would be to be a single mother--especially a teen mother. My pregnancy was planned and wanted, I have the world's most supportive partner, and the baby and I have always been healthy-- and STILL there are times I've felt like I was falling apart or not going to make it. Pregnancy is taxing and hard and motherhood even more so; I can only imagine what these girls go through. This woman is there for them 24/7, even and especially once their babies arrive, teaching them how to be strong and loving mothers, and she deserves a medal for it. Well worth your time! You can watch it for free at the link above.

No comments: