Friday, August 10, 2007

Frustration? Cure-SALSA!

Well yall, Katie and I are rolling with the punches associated with living in an area that is very different from living in the Midwest but we are dealing as well as we can. Most of the frustration is caused by stupid people-it just seems like the stupid people out here are more widespread and speak a different language of stupid than they do where we are from. But, that is what you get for striking out and doing something daring. Anyway, here is a salsa recipe that Katie and I enjoy. Now, if you want a good ole' mild, cooked salsa that is something like Pace makes-GO BUY PACE! This is much more traditional. You get a good, spicy flavor and can taste both the independent ingredients as well as the conglomerate. So here are the ingredients:

28 oz fresh tomatoes (or a can of tomatoes)
4 cloves garlic (usually like a little extra but Katie reminds me of balance)
2 jalapeƱo chilies (I will get to these in a bit)
1/2 a larger onion
1/2 a normal sized bunch of cilantro (be sure to wash it-this stuff can be sandy)
1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar (white also works)
1T lime juice
1t salt
1/2 t cumin
1/4 t ground allspice
1/4 t ground cinnamon

So, all you do is put the stuff in a blender in this order:
garlic
chilies
onions-chop up small before putting in blender
spices
vinegar
lime juice
cilantro
tomatoes

Blend the stuff until it all spins for a few seconds, then let it sit. Make sure there are no chunks of stuff like cilantro, onions and garlic (those little bastards have a way of not blending). I have never tried a food processor but I would use it with caution because it may chop all the ingredients too small. Now, about the chilies. Sometimes you get jalapeƱos that are very spicy, and sometimes they are so weak that you can eat the salsa like gazpacho. So, be flexible about them. As a rule of thumb, remove the seeds and white veins from the center of one of them. That is if you cant take the heat. I prefer leaving all the seeds in and upping my heat tolerance but as many of you know, I am into self punishment. Also, if you have rubber gloves, wear them when you deal with the chilies. The spicy oil from them will remain on your hands for hours afterwards. If you don't wear gloves, you won't want to stick your fingers in your eyes or touch your junk (or anyone else's junk for that matter) for many hours after you handle the chilies. You or someone close to you will regret it!

Let me know what you think-leave comments please!

Here is a crappy picture of me without my apron on making the salsa:












One last thing-I caught the cats together in a special moment. Apparently Scratches tucked in Patches for a nap and gave her a kiss goodnight. One part of my rarely seen softer side is my newfound enjoyment of cat photography.









Thanks all for the time.

No comments: