Monday, December 10, 2007

Walk, Study, Sleep, Clean: An exciting life, but somebody has to live it.

Most of today has actually been comprised of studying--which is really kind of a surprise! I did hit a slump about 10:30 this morning and actually ended up taking about a 30-minute nap. I woke up still feeling so lethargic I almost went down for another one. Matt and I have set the goal of trying to do 30 minutes of some kind of physical activity every day, preferably an hour on the weekends (partly due to the desire on both our parts for more energy!) but it seems to me that any time I start any kind of exercise regimen, no matter how tame, the first week or so just absolutely drains me. Case in point: yesterday we ran for 30 minutes, today we walked for 30 minutes, and by mid-morning, my energy was totally sapped.

BUT, during the brief period I'm spending at home before I start my new job, I'm trying to set the goal that I spend most of my time doing SOMETHING productive. Realistically, it should be studying; realistically, it's not gonna be. So after indulging in the nap (which, after this week, will no longer be an option most days), instead of rolling over for another one, I decided to see what I could accomplish in the next half hour of being awake, in the hopes that I would be able to energize myself somewhat in the bargain. Here's what I did:

-Made Mexican casserole for dinner
-Did the dishes from last night
-Put away the dishes
-Did a load of laundry (though I didn't fold it...folding laundry is low on my list of favorite tasks, though luckily, Matt doesn't seem to mind it as much as he does other chores that I don't mind at all!)
-Made a game plan for today's studying

I did end up with more energy after all that was done, and so far I'm on track for accomplishing what I wanted to in the study department, too. It's a good feeling! I'm hoping to get a little bit more done before Matt gets home, spend some time with him, and hopefully do another Civ Pro practice test before we go to bed.

As predicted, I didn't get a ton done this weekend. Saturday I ended up throwing in the study-towel for a dish towel and helped Matt cook Potato and Cauliflower Masala from his new Indian cookbook, and I also made Red Lentil Soup. Personally, I thought it turned out too watery; I ended up blending in a couple of cooked potatoes to thicken it up, and it still seemed thin. It was good, though, and I think Matt especially liked it.

Sunday was the Messiah at the National Cathedral, which was very good but very crowded. We got there early enough to beat the line because we had asked for our tickets to be mailed to us, and we were concerned they'd been lost in the shuffle of the move, and had called and left messages to that effect to no avail. They ended up being at Will Call (would have been nice to have been notified that they were doing that), but when the usher went to seat us, one of the seats didn't exist. We ended up pulling up a chair from elsewhere, which we didn't actually have to use because the seat next to our existing one was empty, and somebody from the Cathedral took our name and is planning to refund us the cost of one of our tickets--which will be nice, but I haven't heard from her yet. Anyway, that pretty much summarizes the experience: the music was beautiful, but the venue somewhat chaotic, which was unfortunate.

After that, we decided that the shine of trying to parallel park in the madness of DC weekend traffic had really kind of worn off since moving to Reston, so we drove back and got a decently affordable dinner at The Silver Diner, a place we'd go again.

1 comment:

trebomb said...

They should have called it "won't call"