Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Drink Best Served Cold?


Sitting here as I am in a breeze that feels more fall than summer to me, I was struck with a craving for some kind of a sweet cinnamony beverage. Raiding our beverage cabinet, I happened upon some International Coffee's Pumpkin Spice Latte, but as I was heating the water to make it, I was put off by the fact that it had crystallized into one solid lump. I was already trying to avoid the fact that its ingredient list read like this:

SUGAR, NONDAIRY CREAMER (PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COCONUT OIL, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, SODIUM CASEINATE, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, SUGAR, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOSTEARATE, SALT, SOY LECITHIN, CARRAGEENAN, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR), WHEY MALTODEXTRIN, INSTANT COFFEE, NONFAT MILK, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF CINNAMON, GINGER, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI) NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CELLULOSE GUM, SODIUM CITRATE, SILICON DIOXIDE (FREE FLOW AGENT)

Aaaggh.

So I called to mind a certain comforting beverage I'd concocted before, which contained no unpronounceable ingredients but merely black tea, ground ginger, cloves, sugar, black pepper, water, and milk. I whipped up a batch of chai concentrate (which took literally less than five minutes), and combined it with cold milk for a beverage that was a charming blend of warm (in terms of spiciness) and refreshingly cool, a nod to the fact that it is still summer, even if my basement apartment is currently breezily autumn-ish. Eat your heart out, Starbucks. (But note: we do plan to take advantage of Free Viviannos this weekend!) And International Coffees. You can keep your pricey beverages, your dipotassium phosphates and your silicone dioxides!

I still admit a certain fondness for IC's Cafe Vienna, which has a slightly less bizarre ingredient list than the Pumpkin Spice, but that has more to do with nostalgia--the fact that some of my earliest memories are of my mother drinking it--than anything else. For taste, health, and economical reasons, I'll take homemade chai any day.

No comments: