Tuesday, July 22, 2008

No, I'm Not Going to the Doctor Yet (Or, My Parents Were Right)


Saturday while we were running errands, I noticed that the palm of my left hand was kind of itchy. I mentioned it to Matt but didn't think much of it. Saturday night, I started to have excruciating pain in my arm and shoulder. I also didn't think much of it because I have a long history of shoulder problems and often when I overdo it, I'll get that kind of pain. I put some ice on it overnight and slept okay. Sunday morning I woke up and my shoulder was better, but my left hand was a throbbing, tingling, pins-and-needles-feeling mess. It only looked a little red and swollen, but I did notice my rings feeling a bit tighter so I took them off. By the time I went to work Sunday night, the texture of my hand was sort of tight and pebbly, and at the end of a four-hour interval without antihistamines, I was in agony. But, it was too late to call into work and so I went, continued to self-medicate, and it was bearable. Probably even better, because I was distracted from it.

Monday I slept all day and I woke up and it was about the same. Worried that it was shingles or something similarly contagious, I decided to call into work for my scheduled 8-hour night shift, and luckily the nurse I talked to agreed. When you work around newborns and the pregnant kind, you don't really want to take any chances.

Now, I realize this is the point at which most people would see a doctor. And in fact, I called my dermatologist's office to see when I could get an appointment, but nobody picked up, so I took that as a sign. The more I thought about it, though, the less it appealed to me to pay $60 or $100 for an office visit, plus prescription costs, to have somebody guess what was wrong and give me a few experimental drugs. Not to mention commuting into DC to do it. As you may or may not have noticed, I'm not that into doctors and I'm not that into drugs. My experience with doctors out here is that you see them for a few minutes, they cover their butts with a wide array of expensive prescriptions, and at the end of the day they're not really sure anyway.

I don't think it's shingles, because it doesn't look like shingles, this would be an unusual place to get it, and I don't feel systemically bad. Also, it's hard to think I've had the kind of stress lately (physical or mental) that usually brings out the dormant zoster virus. The only trick there was that people who do have shingles in a limb often complain of extreme pain in the whole limb before the outbreak, but like I said, this isn't the first time I've had that kind of arm pain and I wonder if it wasn't just a coincidence.

It could be some other kind of infection, bacterial or viral. It does sort of remind me of cellulitis I've seen before, but I just finished up a course of antibiotics and I don't feel systemically bad or have a fever, so I tend to doubt it's that.

It could be poison ivy, but it doesn't seem likely. This weekend we ran a few errands by car, but besides that, we just stayed in and rested up for my night shift on Sunday. I haven't even been outside, let alone near any plants, for longer than the time it takes to get from apartment to car. Plus, I've never really had an allergic reaction to poison ivy.

It could be an allergic reaction to something else.
What that might be is hard for me to fathom, since I don't recall introducing any new products to that hand (especially ONLY that hand), but it's possible.

It could be dyshidrotic eczema, or dyshidrotic dermatits, or dyshidrosis, or perhaps pompholyx. (They're all different names for the same thing.) It looks like it, and it sounds like it. I wish it weren't, because the idea that it's going to last 3-4 weeks, that my skin will eventually erupt in blisters which will burst and leave "painful fissures," and that "even with treatment, recurrence is common," is not a diagnosis I wish to embrace, but alas. The kicker for me was that it's most common in people who also suffer from atopic dermatits, which of course I do. It cites for possible triggers "frequent exposure to water," and for someone who worked 40+ hours last week with an average of probably 2-5 handwashes an hour, well, that makes sense. It's also more common in hot, humid weather, and it's been in the 90s all week.

Why my left hand? I don't know, although I will say it does seem somewhat centralized around my ring finger, which makes me wonder if there wasn't dampness or soap trapped underneath my rings at some point that set off this whole problem. I do feel really fortunate that I took them off when I did (and still could), because I honestly believe that if I'd left it on one more night, they would have had to cut them off. Maybe along with my finger, I think it would have been that tight.
So my battle plan: treat the symptoms with antihistamines and steroid creams if necessary (since I have a battalion of them from back when the doctors couldn't figure out how to fix the rash under my nose), and try homeopathy to rebalance things internally. The remedy Loma Lux (available in formulations for acne, eczema, and psoriasis) gets pretty consistently good reviews all around, and a double-blind study showed good results for the psoriasis formulation. The idea that I could get rid of this rash but also gain some ground with my other various skin ailments sounds too good to pass up. I fully recognize that most conventional MD's scoff at the idea of homeopathy, but I'm also aware that there are tens of thousands of people who suffer from various ailments which have been uncured by modern medicine. It seems as though eczema falls solidly into that category. They're also known to decry herbs and chiropractic, two of the most effective interventions I've seen in my individual health. And besides: I'll try something gentle, noninvasive, and inexpensive any day before I'll subject myself to tests and drugs. Not to say I'd NEVER consider going to the doctor for this--after all, my dermatologist did clear up the rash under my nose--but that was something I'd struggled with for a year, and what finally did it was a course of prednisone, which is a pretty broad shot and not one I'd undertake lightly.

While I'm waiting for my Loma Lux, I'm taking 6C potency Sulphur (5 mini tablets, 3x a day). Together, they cost me about $30, which gives me another $50 to play with before I even approach the cost of a dermatologist visit, not to mention a pricey and possibly ineffective drug, with side effects!

According to this site:
"The person most suited to sulphur is someone who becomes tired easily yet feels it is a hard job to get to sleep. They get too hot if they lay in bed and become more and more restless the more they try to get to sleep. They sometimes can look untidy with rough hair and flaky skin and have an intelligent mind but find it hard to put ideas into practise and they can fuss over small things or details." Another site notes that the sulphur is "suited to deep thinking types with a nervous yet independent nature." Also, a "lack of energy (regained quickly at the prospect of pleasurable activity." Yup, sounds about right. Also, "midmorning hunger." Why, I've got some of that right now!

So why were my parents right? Because they didn't rush us off to a doctor at the drop of a hat, choosing instead to focus on good nutrition, lots of rest, "compulsive handwashing," and alternative cures (eg chiropractic) they were ahead of their time (at least to me!) in seeking. I thought they were just mean or strange, but it turns out that in addition to probably considering their sky-high deductibles from being self-employed, they were just following good sense.

12 comments:

Family Bazaar said...

All hail homeopathy!! We've been using it for years with great success. there are still more traditional drugs in the house than I'd like but we are careful to use them only when we can't find a rememdy to work as quickly as we need it to (esp when children require attention and i simply cannot go sleep until I am relieved of symptoms). I'm so glad your hand is healing up, and maybe by now healed.

I have seen homeopathy do amazing things. Dropped 12 splinters out of Sedona's foot, clears up pink eye faster than you'd dream it, plus it has helped me with various mysterious systemic ailments. Hooray!!

I couldn't agree more. . who wants to go to the dr if it isn't necessary. Sure there are times when a diagnosis isn't within our own reach and further tests need be done to identify the problem that I can then address with remedies.

Rosemary/sonrie said...

Hi there, I just found your blog via my search for this type of eczema. I was wondering if you experienced additional breakouts and if you used the sulphur again with success. Thanks.

Rosemary/sonrie said...

Thanks for the superfast response! I think I will have to try the sulphur for sure before heading to the doctor.

Stephanie said...

Did you have success with your homeopathic treatment? I just got a diagnosis of dyshidrosis today (and of course, the dr. gave me a steroid shot). I'd like to know if there are other (non-drug) ways to treat this in case it comes back.

Rosemary/sonrie said...

I actually haven't tried the sulphur/homeopathic remedy yet. I mentioned the small bumps to my doctor, and she thought that they were from an allergy to fragrance. (Note: That is one way they can develop, as I have learned from research. There are others, as well.)

I have tried to cut back on items that have 'fragrance' or 'parfum' as an ingredient. I am amazed by how many things contain it! I have focused on using things that use essential oils or items marked 'fragrance free/hypoallergenic/sensitive skin.' If it is marked with 'unscented,' that is not the same thing.

Mine tend to come and go monthly...last month they were on my pointer fingers, and this month they are on the palms of my hands. I have had them for several years, and they have slowly become slightly larger. Mornings are worse, as is heat/humidity. These are all my symptoms...yours may be and probably are a little different.

Did the steroid shot work?

Stephanie said...

I got the steroid shot earlier today so it may take a couple days to know for sure. I am concerned, though, that "if" it becomes a recurring problem, I can't just go running for steroid shots all the time (not good for you at all). I may go search out some Loma Lux tomorrow at our local natural foods store or at the very least order it online.

It erupted last weekend after I painted our front door (I did wear nitrile gloves and didn't clean the brush...my husband did). I have heard of people having reactions to nitrile gloves due to the lubricants and other chemicals used in the manufacturing process.

We use Dr. Bonner's soap at home, so I don't think it's from any fragrance or perfume.

Matt & Katie...thanks for addressing this issue!

Stephanie

Katie said...

After I used the sulphur, it never came back. I was worried that it would, since everything I read about dishydrosis states it is recurrent, but I was lucky in that mine cleared up quickly and has stayed clear ever since. Stephanie, it does sound like yours may have been set off by some kind of chemical contact. I can't say the Loma Lux made as much of a difference as the sulphur, so that would be my top-line (personal) recommendation. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow... this is interesting. Last week I had a manicure and I had exposure to the chemicals for the cuticle, so I think that might be the reason... but let me explain you.
First of all, it has been the worse mani ever, but anyways I thought: ok, this sucks and I'll never come back and thats it. but the thing is that the next day while I was talking on the phone I realized my index finger had some kind of blisters but they felt hard, like hard skin. Then I saw around my nails my skin was swollen and then this blisters appeared around the other fingers. Went to the doc and said it was atopic dermatitis. I took loratadine for a time and some other blisters I was having on arms and face (these ones were not hard skinned) those dissappeared with loratadine, but now, a week after that while typing I realized I have a little mountain in the outside of the left side of the hand. It doesnt hurt, nor itch, nothing. So doingmy research I think it's possible that I have this.

Well. wish me luck and I think I'll go see the dermatologist cause it is possible that I am having a reaction to some product.. so.. hopefully it's just that and not something more serious. :(

cheers.

Anonymous said...

OMG sometimes you "naturopathic homeopathic freaks" have your heads stuck so far up your butts sometimes it drives me CRAZY!!!! Do you not realize that homeopathic/naturopathic medicine a. can have side effects just like prescription drugs b. can interact with prescription drugs and c. are totally unregulated with respect to what and how much of the active ingredient they actually contain????? what the hell is wrong with you people that you will believe someone just because they call themselves a naturopath/homeopath or chiropractor? and why is it that you seem to all think that doctors are "out to get you", prescribing drugs just to "cover their butts" or just in it to make a quick buck?? Believe me, the hard work that goes into becoming a doc is not worth this kind of crappy attitude from patients (hence why I prefer to see kids)...

A combined approach may be effective, but for god's sake stop dissin docs just cause it's the trendy thing to do...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

If you were listening to the original writer she is a nurse, and didn't want or didn't have the money for a dr. appt. when she new what the rash could be and fortunatly it was a simple rememdy, as her parents were homeopaths, she had the knowledge.

Anonymous said...

My teenager has dishydrosis. It gets very bad to the point of bleeding sores on her palm and between her fingers, but only on her left hand. Removing her braces helped, but it came back. Taking bee pollen helped, but it came back. I got her an amber bracelet (REAL amber) to wear on the affected hand, and it never came back...until two years later, when it came back on THE OTHER hand!! AARGH!! Researching homeopathy now. Thanks for your suggestions. Her left hand is pretty scarred but healed now, and I don't want her to go through that on her right hand now.