Friday, July 11, 2008

The Weekend is Here!

Friday night! We wait breathlessly all week for this. Every day, we encourage each other that it's one day closer. All day today, we reminded each other with phone calls and emails: It's Friday! Date night!

And what does this long-anticipated occasion find us doing? Chilling out on the couch; Matt reading, me blogging.

Heaven.

We also watched a couple of episodes of The Cosby Show and made a great pizza--with Vidalia onions, cherry tomatoes, and indulging our lesser-known carnivorous sides by adding sausage from a local farm. Yum. Washed it down with a glass of wine. Tomorrow night, we're making the rest of the sausage into meatballs for spaghetti.

I sent off my Frontier application today, which was a relief. This morning Matt and I got up at 5:30 to run, and then just as I was about to go out the door at 6:20, I realized I had a voicemail--despite never having heard my phone ring. (Have I ever mentioned how much I hate T-Mobile? Because I really, really do.) It was work, telling me they didn't need me. Thinking that we could really used the money, I called them back, but they assured me that they were so slow there was just no way they could justify letting me come in. Oh, well. I'd just accustomed myself to the idea of a slim month, and perked up at the idea of all I could get done today, when they called back about 9 to let me know that they were drowning and needed me right away. How quickly things change! While we were running I'd remarked to Matt that it sort of looked like rain, and I bet that work would be busy today. Ha! So I hurried to get my application postmarked so at least I could cross that important item off my list, if nothing else. Work was busy, so it went fast.

This weekend, we're planning to make up another batch of limeade concentrate (and so, apparently, is the rest of the world, judging from the many and multinational hits we're constantly getting from people Googling the recipe) and head to the pool with a friend of ours. I haven't baked for awhile and so I'm thinking about doing some of that--maybe banana bread and a batch of cookies? It's also been awhile since we've had zucchini bread--like, last summer (can it be made with less than a CUP of oil per loaf?!)--so we're going to scout out the farmer's market for some zukes.

Spaghetti and meatballs are on the menu tomorrow, and stir-fry on Sunday. If I didn't mention it already, my campaign to get the library to save me their coupons was successful (hooray), so Sunday we'll bike over to get those, do our grocery shopping, and also drop off at the homeless shelter the fruits of a very profitable CVS haul. Here's what we got there:
Old Spice Body Wash x 4 at $3.99 apiece
Olay Body Ribbons Body Wash at $4.99 apiece
(both part of an Olay promotion--buy $20, get $10 ECB)
Dawn Direct Dish Foam at $2 for $2
CVS Pantiliners x 2 for $1.99 apiece (free after ECB)

used $1/2 Old Spice Body Wash coupon
$1/1 Olay Body Wash coupon
$1/1 Dawn coupon
Used $4/20 coupon for updating my email address with CVS.com
(all of these were from the library!)

Then I used $15 in ECB and earned $13 back. I only spent $0.06 out of pocket! Incidentally, the cashier used up my ECB before my coupons, so I actually ended up getting two of the coupons back (when it would have been far preferable to get the ECB back--apparently I should dole them out one at a time, in the order to be used), but I'm not going to complain about getting roughly $27 of stuff more or less for free. We'll probably keep the dish soap, but donate the rest. Since that $0.06 didn't make a very big dent in our charity budget for the month, we're also giving to the This American Life podcast, which we enjoy listening to weekly and which apparently costs hundreds of thousands of dollars in broadband, though it's a free program. And, an influential band director of Matt's passed away this past week and specified that any donations should be made to two organizations that had meaning for him. So we'll be giving to each of those in his honor.

I'm going to let Matt tell you later about the unbelievably delicious twice-baked potatoes he made with tofu sour cream/mayonnaise. They were honestly the most creamy, tangy, delicious twice-baked potatoes I've ever had, and I couldn't believe they were only seasoned with salt and pepper. Yum!

No comments: