Sunday, October 5, 2008

Cheap Recipe: Salmon Patties

In our continued effort to live ever more frugally, and because a can of salmon struck us recently as an excellently cheap source of protein, we decided to try out the recipe on the label and see what we thought. We only had $0.98 and our pride to lose!

Salmon Patties
Ingredients:

1 can salmon (drained and flaked)
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used 1 slice of whole-wheat bread)
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced green pepper (omitted)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp black pepper
Splash of lemon juice

Combine all ingredients and shape into patties; fry until lightly golden on each side.

While the Cuisinart worked impeccably for crumbing the bread, I wonder if I shouldn't have then mixed everything else in by hand. The patties turned out to be almost too moist and seemed to have some difficulty sticking together.

Below is my reaction when I realized that canned salmon IS FULL OF BONES AND SKIN:

However, the finished product actually turned out quite good. Particularly after a run in the Cuisinart, the bones and skin were indistinguishable, and are supposedly a great source of calcium. All right then. We decided that we would make these again.

1 comment:

amazingk8 said...

I just stumbled on your blog and its a lot of fun! I grew up on canned salmon patties - they are one of my favorite foods ever (minus the little bit of bone that my mom always said was especially good for us). I make a black bean patty that always turns out too runny if I use the food processor to chop and mix instead of just doing it all by hand. I think the ingredients end up getting to 'broke down' and release too much water. Anyway - love all the recipes! I think I'll try a few!