Thursday, October 9, 2008

Here We Are!

12 hours after leaving our apartment in a cab for the airport (and that, shockingly, includes NO DELAYS!), we arrived in Seattle last night about 10:45pm local time, 1:45am OUR TIME. Ohhhh, the joys of travel. While I'm happy to be here with Matt, I can honestly say that I can practically FEEL my desire to explore new places dwindling by the day. To the point that I'm almost at zero. While I used to find it so exciting to board a plane, spend a day in the sky, and touch down someplace new and exhilarating, I find I've joined the ranks of all the other...gulp... adults who just find it uncomfortable and irritating and inconvenient. I'd so much rather ferret out the treasures and hidden gems of my own community--or better yet, patronize the familiar--than brave unknown geography, elements, and neighborhoods just trying to fulfill the basics. Something to eat. A place to stay. The costs and time and effort it requires just to maintain the status quo are exhausting.

On a less negative note, we're trying to look at this trip as an extreme frugality challenge. While my plane tickets are an unrecoup-able loss, I'm trying to keep my tab as close to $0 as I can for the duration of my stay. I'm at Starbucks utilizing free WiFi instead of paying $9.99 a day to have it in our room. (It doesn't hurt my productivity to have my access restricted a little bit, either.) I'm planning lunches from the cafes at Barnes & Noble and Starbucks, where we have giftcards, and we've brought along our own bulgur for breakfast. And that's perhaps the best part of all this: that when we're together, with a little bulgur and baking soda strategically utilized throughout the day, we can make almost anyplace feel like home.

No comments: