Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Burt's Bees Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bar, Day 1


I guess it's technically day 2, because I washed my hair last night. After I wrote last night's post, Matt was kind enough to run out to Whole Foods with me to grab a bar so we could start this experiment :)

The experience: the bar smells very pleasant (kind of minty and woody--almost like Listerine, but a little less antiseptic). It lathers nicely, whether you choose to rub it directly on your hair or lather it in your hands and transfer. Matt used it too and liked it a lot, and of course his hair came out silky and lovely, like it would even if he rubbed sand and dog turds into it. (I am convinced of this.)

My hair? Combed out pretty well after the shower, and then I blew it dry out of curiosity to see what it would look/feel like. It was considerably...heavier, is the best word I can think of, than when I use Pantene. This isn't a terrible thing for long straight hair. Regular shampoo just makes it somehow both more sleek/smooth and fluffy--fingers and brushes glide through it more easily--than the shampoo bar, which leaves it...well, heavy. It does, however, have considerably more volume than any of my no poo or castile soap or homemade ever left me with. My scalp is a little flaky, but it is the middle of winter, and it's not at all itchy.

So it's a very in-between experience; a definite maybe. I'll see how it looks tomorrow, and probably try it a few more times before I return a verdict.

No comments: