Thursday, February 5, 2009

Twice-Baked Potatoes

I think I perfected my twice-baked potato recipe last night. It's never been anything hard and fast, always something thrown together quickly based on what I have in the fridge. But the addition of two little ingredients--mayo and parsley--just may have sent it over the top. Just a little tangier and zippier than when you make them without.

Measurements are approximate, but here's roughly what I did:

Twice-Baked Potatoes

4-6 medium potatoes
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonaise
1 cup grated cheddar or other cheese
2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Bake potatoes, either in the oven or microwave, until cooked through. Allow to cool. Cut in half and scoop out most of the pulp from each half, leaving enough for some rigidity of the shell. Combine pulp and all remaining ingredients and mix with hand mixers, stand mixer, or by hand until desired texture is achieved. Adjust seasonings to taste. Spoon filling into shells and bake at 400 about 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and tops begin to brown.
Love these!

When I was a kid, I never liked regular baked potatoes...possibly because my health-conscious mother allowed very little butter on them, and I honestly don't think I ever saw sour cream on a baked potato until I went to college. However, she would occasionally purchase prepared twice-baked potatoes and I did like those. I thought that the difference in flavor and texture must be the direct result of the second baking...I didn't realize that all kinds of other goodies got added in. I always wondered why she didn't just go ahead and bake hers one more time, when the twice-baked were so much more tasty!

Needless to say, I'm in on their secret now. And I'm a big fan.

No comments: