Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Lathered Up About Shampoo

photo by ktpupp

There's been a lot of debate in my head, for a long time, over what to do about shampoo.

I tried no poo and my results are pretty well summed up by what Crunchy Chicken said about it.

I tried a so-called natural shampoo and it eventually made my head itch.

I've tried castile soap and apple cider vinegar and both left me with stiff, greasy, funky hair.

My latest foray was into the world of homemade shampoo, which looked very promising, and worked well for the blogger who brought me my favorite dishwasher detergent and homemade laundry soap, but alas, it did not work well for me. I had high hopes, but it still left me with greasier hair than I'd like; the more dedicated among us would probably say that my hair is just in an adjustment period, and I should keep at it, but honestly, when one is pregnant, and one's skin is unpredictable and one's figure is expanding and one's favorite clothes no longer fit, for crap's sake, you don't have a lot of patience for your hair not looking at least acceptable. Sometimes I feel like it's the only reliable thing I have left!

My fallback is Pantene True Confidence, which, as I've said, must be procured online and costs about $5 a bottle. I bought two bottles about nine months ago and I haven't yet run out of the second one, so honestly, the layout is not too bad. It's full of chemicals, to be sure, but lacks some of the more deplorable ingredients of modern cosmetics. Still, it's not a great option. A couple of things I'm considering trying:

1) Burt's Bees Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bar. Both rosemary and mint are supposed to be good for sensitive/flaky scalps; the ingredients list is refreshingly wholesome; and there's no plastic bottle involved, meaning nothing to spill when we travel and also nothing to worry about throwing in a landfill when I'm done. It just comes wrapped in paper. This would be my first choice and I would just LOVE it if this would work for me, but given my past letdowns, I'm cautious about getting too excited. $5.99 for a bar; hard to say how long it would last, but probably a couple of months or so. So basically, nothing would make me happier than to be able to come back and post that I Love This Bar (that one's for you, Dad).

2) Whole Foods 365 Brand Shampoo (probably in lavender, which I'm crazy about). Milder than Pantene, more chemicals than the Burt's bar. About $3 a bottle. If the shampoo bar doesn't work on my hair, I'll move onto this, at which point the concern is for my scalp. Sometimes it reacts poorly to a new shampoo, sometimes it doesn't. I guess we'll just have to see.

3) Another option to weigh would be a Burt's Bees liquid shampoo--probably fewer chemicals than 365, and a little more expensive at around $7, so it's something of balancing act.

2 comments:

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

Sorry the homemade shampoo didn't work out for you! :) I love it. Did you use the hair rinse afterward? That really helps. You might need and extra Tbl. of the Dr. Bronner's, too.

This was great to read! :)

Blessings,
Michele

BeverlyD Hair Party said...

You might be interested to join my Hair Spa | Styling Party. I'll be pleased to share techniques in massage, masking and moisturizing to get your hair to where you want it to be. I bet you'll gonna enjoy it.