Monday, February 16, 2009

The Great Shampoo Experiment Update

I've now been using my Burt's Bees Rosemary Mint Shampoo bar for almost two weeks and I think I am ready to tentatively declare it a success.

If I just use the shampoo bar and nothing else, my hair still tends toward that odd, stiff, sticky texture. But if I follow it up with a pretty diluted vinegar rinse (about 1:4 parts apple cider vinegar to water; any more than that, or if I use it on my scalp instead of just the length of my hair, it seems to leave me a little greasier than I'd like), it combs out easily and stays pretty tangle-free. I keep a bottle of diluted apple cider vinegar in the shower, and then I add a little warm water to that in a small metal bowl I keep in the shower for that purpose, because otherwise it's a very chilly rinse. I also add a couple drops of lavender essential oil to the vinegar bottle, which seems to take care of any lingering salad-bar scent.

Yesterday I thought my scalp was starting to act up again--I had a very itchy, dry, flaky patch near my right temple, and despaired that maybe the shampoo bar wasn't going to be the answer I thought it was after all. But what I did was to work in a good amount of pure jojoba oil prior to taking a shower, let it sit and steam while I took a shower, and then washed it all out with the shampoo bar and did the vinegar rinse. I blew my hair dry and was pleasantly surprised to see that that area of my scalp looked just as good as new. And my hair felt nice, full of volume, though still a little difficult to get my fingers through. So I rubbed a couple of drops of jojoba oil onto my palms and ran them through the length of my hair a couple of times, and after that I think I can say that my hair and scalp feel about as nice as they ever have before.

So I feel good about that, as well as the fact that I've eliminated the last main stronghold of chemicals I was putting on (and therefore in) my body. My only remaining concern is that Burt's Bees was recently bought out by Clorox--which is all well and good, as long as they don't change the formulation to something more synthetic in an effort to decrease costs.

No comments: