Thursday, February 5, 2009

Bread, Again

It's nice to bake bread while doing homework because it provides a couple of well-scheduled breaks to knead, shape loaves, etc. And it makes the house smell divine. And then you have a heavenly snack.

It's hard for me to remember why I ever got away from this bread recipe. It makes a surprisingly soft and mild loaf for being 100% whole-wheat flour (except for the gluten), as I was reminded after I demolished half the loaf immediately after it came out of the oven. (Hey, I'm eating for two, and what can I say? That baby needs a lot of bread.) And with such a simple and wholesome ingredient list, I guess if you're going to eat half a loaf of bread (let's be honest: and butter) at one sitting, it may as well be this bread. I think it's still hands-down my favorite bread for eating plain, and it's nice that it's all whole wheat and relatively simple to make.

It seems to me I've posted it before, but I can't find where it was, so maybe I haven't. Here goes. My comments are in italics:
Delicious Whole-Wheat Bread (2 loaves)
by Crystal Miller (The Family Homestead)
(photograph mine)

2 cups warm water (I also add a splash of whole milk, because I think it makes the bread softer)
1/3 cup honey (I warm it with the water)
1 T yeast
1/3 cup olive oil (I actually use melted butter)
2 t. salt
1/3 cup gluten flour
5 to 7 cups freshly ground whole wheat flour (mine is storebought)
I also added a pinch of ginger as a dough conditioner

In a large bowl or in a large mixer (such as a Kitchen Aid or Bosch type) combine the water, yeast and honey. Let sit for a few minutes to give the yeast a chance to start working. Add the salt, oil, gluten flour and 3 to 4 cups of whole wheat flour. Continue to add more flour until the dough does not stick to the side of the bowl and does not feel sticky to the touch. Knead for 4 minutes in a Bosch mixer or 7 to 10 in other mixers or 10 to 15 minutes by hand.

When dough has finished kneading let it rise once until doubled in bulk (unless you are using a Bosch type mixer and in this case you can skip the 1st rising). Punch down dough and divide it into 2 pieces and form into loaves and set in bread pans.

Let it rise in a slightly warm oven (this means that you turn the oven on for just 2 or 3 min. or until you can feel the heat and then turn it off, if it is too hot then it will kill the yeast) for 15 to 25 minutes or until the dough is ½ inch above top of pan. Turn oven to 350 (without taking bread out) and bake for approx. 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Here are a few things I think have improved my breadbaking over the years:
-Actually using a technique to roll up the loaf, and pinching and sealing the ends
-Using a taller loaf pan (we now have both metal and glass in the narrower, taller size)
-Adding gluten to whole-wheat bread (even in recipes that don't call for it--substitute for an equal amount of flour)
-Rising in a warm oven (as described above) instead of willy-nilly on the counter
-Making bread over and over again until I get a feel for how much flour is enough

My techniques are by no means perfected, but they get better every time. And trial and error, while occasionally frustrating, can also be part of the fun!

No comments: