Thursday, January 17, 2008

A Cure for the Common Canker

Lately both of us have been plagued by recurrent canker sores, Matt especially. And so, because I read that the foaming ingredient in most commercial toothpastes, sodium lauryl sulfate, can be a culprit in irritating them, one-half of the Household Which Has More Toothpaste Than Any Other Household (thanks to frequent CVS deals which make them free or more than free) has switched to brushing his teeth with plain baking soda. And it seems to have worked. We keep it in a little covered Pyrex dish next to the sink and he dips in a wet toothbrush and he's off to the races. Last night, when I noticed it was getting low, I refilled it and then added a couple of drops of peppermint extract--just to be fancy. What can I say, wives do those kinds of things sometimes. Now he doesn't have to choose between being canker-free and minty-fresh. And I just have to figure out who's going to use up the next 10 tubes of canker-causing toothpaste!

Speaking of harmless white powder--Northern Virginia is expecting UP TO AN INCH OF SNOW TODAY, meaning that we are under a "winter weather watch" and many of the schools are closed. No comment...

1 comment:

Holly said...

Hey Katie my dear! Hope you are feeling better! Nan and Chuck say hello..we'll have to have a phone date this week and I can fill you in on how I realized that 4:15 today was not our departure time to minneapolis but rather our arrival time into Minneapolis...we made the flight thanks to Chuck driving 85 ml/hr. Oh wow! We then got stuck on a plane with mickey mouse ear wearing screaming children.....and this one kid who pooed his diaper and his parents didnt have the decency to change it. I miss you!