Sunday, January 6, 2008

Soup-er Supper

After tramping around Reston enjoying the 55-degree weather, we were still excited to come home and make this split pea soup. We didn't need to add any extra water, as many commenters did (though it did require frequent stirring not to stick to the bottom of the pot), but we at least tripled the spices. All in all, it was very filling, very cheap, very healthy, and very good. I'm taking the leftovers to work tomorrow.

Because the new year has shifted us back into hardcore frugality mode, but there were a couple of things we'd had our eye on for awhile, we felt lucky that we had a couple of gift certificates to burn. One was for a nearby mall; Matt got a pair of Smartwool socks and I got a bike light and a Sigg water bottle, which we talked down to half price because it was a little dented. The bike light is because when I tried to ride my bike to work on Friday morning, I realized I had overlooked the facts that a) it's still dark outside at 6am and b) Reston doesn't have any streetlights. Not a one. Not able to see where I was going, I hit a curb at full speed and flew off my bike, just in time for Matt to come around the corner in the car and catch the whole thing. He was very charitable about it, but called out that he thought it might be a good idea to get a bike light over the weekend. I agreed, and so we did.

No comments: