Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Second Chances

Not one to take lightly the squandering of good ingredients, I've been thinking today about what to do with the chilly remnants of last night's chocolate mishap. Deciding that it needed addressing on two fronts--texture and flavor--I let it warm up to room temperature before beating in about another quarter stick of butter and an egg. Gratified by the moist results, I also added about a half-cup of sugar and another quarter-cup of cocoa to see if I could rectify the blandness.

When they came out of the oven, the results were very much improved, though they still just weren't great cookies. Plus--two sticks of butter, two eggs, a cup of sugar...it sounds disappointingly similar to my regular go-to cookie recipe, and where it differs, the difference isn't an improvement.

In hindsight, I'm glad they were salvageable, but I don't think I would go out of my way to make them again. I think the next time I'm craving a little double-chocolate goodness, I'll just add some cocoa powder to my tried-and-true favorites.

No comments: