Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Where Have We Been?

Nowhere exciting, really, but we haven't done much blogging in the past week or so. I've continued to be either sick or working (or both, which is a lovely combination), and while I am incredibly lucky to be married to an excellent cook who is happy to take up those reins when they go slack in my hands, he is less prone than I am to subsequently posting the details for all to see. So you'd never know, for example, that this weekend Matt made pretty much the best soup we've ever had. It was HEAVENLY. Do not let the workload (which is not that bad) or the volume of garlic (which is perfect) overwhelm you--this is an amazing, top-restaurant-quality soup that everybody should experience at least once before they die. Really. The following day, we roasted even more garlic and made a roasted-garlic, mushroom, and alfredo pizza which was also out of this world, and somewhere in there we also had a phenomenal cauliflower soup. Despite the fact that it's 71 degrees as I write this, we are having a real winter of soup, and loving every minute of it!

Last night I ended up getting called into work over the dinner hour and when I came home, Matt had made an old favorite I'd nearly forgotten about--baked ziti pizza. Basically, make a batch of baked ziti (cooked noodles, sauce, and a big spoonful of ricotta), spoon some sauce and the pasta on top of a pizza crust, add mozzarella and any other toppings you'd like, and finish it off with big plops of ricotta all over the top. We first had this in New York City and have not made it nearly often enough since! It's a wonderful and very filling take on pizza.

Food aside, things here are good. We appreciate all the kind feedback on our name change, and are feeling secure about that decision. This morning I drove into DC for a dermatologist appointment and also met with the program director of Georgetown...who, unless she was kidding, gave me the news that I'm in! Now it only remains to apply to Shenandoah and decide what to do...

No comments: