Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Day 2 and More

Today was a harder day than yesterday, especially not waking up with Katie. You grow really used to that, and it hit me really hard at 5:00 this morning that I didn't have my best friend to groaningly get out of bed with. I miss you and cannot wait for your return!

I did have a good time this morning during my first day volunteering at the Embry Rucker Community Shelter. All I did was vacuum and wash windows, but it was nice to do some physical work. Everyone there is very nice, including the guy who I am doing tasks for. It really puts things into perspective seeing people and entire families who have almost nothing, and a shelter and a warm breakfast is really all they may have too look forward to. It is incredible to have so many things to rely on in my life, but it is so important seeing those who have far less. There are so many biblical passages in the New Testament (and some in the old) that tell you to give to those with less than you. It is for their good, the good of everyone, but it is hard to deny that it is for your good too. Seeing those in really needy conditions puts your problems into a different perspective. It does not make them go away, but it is truly one of the best therapies that you can have. I am really happy that Katie and I chose to get involved with this place, and I am looking to getting to know some of these people more.

So now I go home to our warm aparment, where there is dinner to make and very hungry kitties to feed. I have lots to be thankful for, but I can' help but be melancholy without Katie there. I love you and miss you my lady, but am glad you are having a great time!

No comments: