Monday, September 22, 2008

Sour Milk Cake


I found this recipe on SlashFood, and the beautiful picture on that site (and the half-gallon of sour milk in my fridge), plus the fact that the author is a fellow raw-milk devotee, convinced me I had to make it.

Here's the recipe, from SlashFood:

SOUR MILK CAKE
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 cup sour milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
[I also added 1/2 tsp grated ginger, because we LOVE ginger-KS]
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 9 inch square baking pan.

Cream butter and sugar together. Add in egg, sour milk and vanilla. Stir to combine and set aside.

Mix together all dry ingredients (I tend to skip the sifting step and just combine using a whisk). [As do I, SlashFood, as do I.-KS]

Add half the dry ingredients to the wet and stir to incorporate. Repeat and stir until batter is just combined.

Pour into the baking pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes (until a cake tester comes out clean).

In case you're interested, here are the Nutrition Facts, courtesy of Calorie Count and based on 9 servings per pan:

Calories: 280
Total Fat: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 7.2 g (36% DV)
Cholesterol: 51mg
Sodium: 161mg
Fiber: 3.1 g
Sugars: 18.2 g
Protein: 4.3 g

Vitamin A: 7% DV
Calcium: 7% DV
Vitamin C: 0% DV
Iron: 5% DV

For some reason it gave it an F, which I don't think is necessarily a fair grade.

Anyway, the cake was delicious--tender, moist, spicy, and wonderful. Since we've got the sour milk, we'll probably make another one soon!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that the cake turned out well for you. I think it's a delicious little recipe and a great way to use up sour milk (mashed potatoes can also hold quite a lot of sour milk, if you're looking for another application).

Anonymous said...

My gosh this was amazing! I added a cup of fresh roasting pumpkin and a splash of milk and made them into muffins. Thanks for sharing this recipe, it was a great use of sour milk!