Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Sunday: Assateague

On Sunday, Matt and my parents and I drove out to Assateague. This is something like our third or fourth time there, but the scenic drive, lovely beach, and wild ponies just don't seem to get old for us!




As you can see, my mom and dad wasted no time getting up close and personal with the inhabitants!

On the way back, we stopped at Trappe Creek, a little diner-style restaurant we've eaten at before and liked. The food is great, made-to-order, and very reasonably priced; I've had the cream of crab soup more than once now and it's always delicious, with big, fresh chunks of crab in it. Matt likes their Reubens, and my mom and dad got also sandwiches--a grilled chicken and a giant club.

In the car, we enjoyed chatting and listening to music, and on the way home, my parents sacked out in the back seat. It was an interesting feeling listening to my dad's old mix tapes, the ones we used to listen to when he and my mom would drive my siblings and me up to camp. I remembered falling asleep in the backseat to those songs many times, and so it was a real turnaround to be sitting in the front with my husband while my parents napped in the back. Times have certainly changed, but it's also nice that there are still some things--good music, nice summer car trips, and my parents' incredibly cynical sense of humor--that have stayed the same.

No comments: