Saturday, January 10, 2009

We're Still Here

I realize that since I've been pregnant, the blog has suffered. Part of it is that a huge component of our lives (and thus the blog)--food--suddenly became repugnant to me in most of its forms. Part of it, I admit, is that some content now goes onto our sister blog (though that hasn't exactly been hopping lately, either). And part of it is that with full-time work and full-time school (as well as full-time nausea and exhaustion for many weeks), plus the holidays in there somewhere, I've just been short on time.

But now that I'm rounding the bend into my second trimester, and all significant travel for the foreseeable future is over, I'm hoping to get back in the saddle.

This past week was a pretty typical one for us, working and going to the gym a few times and otherwise going on with our normal lives. Last night we decided to splurge and go out for Thai food, which was delicious. (The restaurant we like in Reston doesn't get very good reviews online, but we've always had a good enough experience there.) I got my favorite standby, Panang Tofu, while Matt branched out with a spicy lamb curry. It also marked my first occasion stepping out in maternity clothes, which are quickly becoming less and less negotiable with every passing week. Luckily, I have a couple of older friends with better taste who have passed on so many nice things that I now have far more, and far classier, maternity clothes than I do regular clothes! We didn't take a picture but probably should the next time we go out (which is really the only time I bother to get dressed, pregnant or not).

We came home and topped off the evening by watching Pineapple Express, which we weren't sure quite what to expect from but which was absolutely crazy and so hysterically funny we wish we'd had time to watch it twice. Action-packed and yes, pretty foul-mouthed, it's very well done and something we wouldn't mind owning at some point.

Today, we spent most of the day running errands, largely in the buy/trade/donate realm. We dropped off several bags of items at our favorite thrift store (lots of things we don't use anymore, along with some remnants of a lot of maternity clothes I got off Freecycle), picked up some things we were donating to charities, hit Costco (for what we hope is the last time--we bought 36 lbs of baking soda, some bulk organic spices, and several very large cans of Italian tomatoes, and are hoping that will last us since the chaos that ensues from parking lot to store to checkout makes us feel like our last nerve is shot every time we go there), and grocery shopped at both Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Here's our tentative menu for the week:

1) Cauliflower cheese soup with no-knead bread and carrots
2) Hamburgers and corn
3) Pizza and salad
4) Spinach frittata
5) Lentil soup and no-knead bread
6) Bean soup and salad
7) Pasta and salad

I say tentative because it's a lot harder for me to predict what's going to sound good to me these days, but I'm hoping that my appetite will continue to get progressively hardier as the weeks roll on. We were trying to include meat and/or poultry on a much more regular basis, but it's hard for me to say whether that was agreeing with me or not, which makes it difficult to justify the extra cost. So for now, we're sticking with old standbys like soup and homemade pizza.

No comments: