Friday, March 21, 2008

The Work I Do

"To love what you do
and feel that it matters—
how could anything be more fun?"
- Katherine Graham

I spent 10 hours yesterday in some of the most intensive, one-on-one labor support I've done in a long time. Virtually all of it was spent standing, walking, or squatting--very little time tethered in bed. I love natural childbirth because I love watching women listen to what their bodies tell them to do. There are the predictable aspects and behaviors, but then there are always certain gestures or rituals that are completely unique to each woman, but that remain consistent throughout the labor.

And at the end of it all there was a lovely baby girl in the room, birthed by somebody who didn't believe she could endure an induced labor with no pain medication, but who ended up doing just that. It literally brought tears to my eyes when she said "I couldn't have done this if you hadn't believed in me."

I can't wait to get into a profession where I can spend more of my time believing in women this way.

On a related note, last night Matt and I watched Patch Adams for the first time, at my parents' suggestion. We loved it. We were fascinated to find out that Patch Adams actually lives and practices in West Virginia, about four hours from where we are now. That he wants to open a free rural hospital based on natural healing and the arts. Uhh...sound familiar? Something on his website that caught my eye:
"An apparent secret in the practice of medicine (so easily erased when business is the context) is how care is bidirectional. This intimacy is as important for the care giver as it is the patient. The bidirectionality of healing is at the core of preventing burnout. The business of medicine has connected the word care with the concept "burden," to describe all who need care, who are not wealthy. But we found the unencumbered practice of medicine is an ecstatic experience."

1 comment:

Holly said...

My friend Adam works with the Patch Adams Project....it rocks!:)