Tuesday, April 1, 2008

How I Earned $2,100 On My Day Off

Well, I didn't actually EARN it. I just kept the DC government from getting their sticky fingers all over it.

As you may recall, we filed our taxes well over a month ago. I tried to be pretty prompt and meticulous about the whole thing since it was such an extensive ordeal to begin with. Well, we've since gotten squared away with the feds, and with Iowa, Wisconsin, and Virginia, but we haven't heard anything on our DC refund. I didn't think much of it (given that the first page of the DC tax return was an apology for the massive misappropriation of funds that took place the year before, I figured they might be a little behind) until I talked with someone else expecting a refund who said that hers had turned around within a couple of weeks. Hmm. So today I called in and was told that they had sent me a bill (which I had never gotten) for the $2100 we owed in DC taxes. I responded that since we'd only lived in DC for 4 months, that seemed rather high. We went through, line by line, until we found the culprit: "Here's where you made a mistake...oh, Lord have mercy. You're right. You're right, we were wrong, we made the mistake. Let me fix that for you." The lady on the phone was very nice, even taking my number and calling me back while she tried to figure out why the computer wouldn't let her fix the error. As far as I know, it's now been fixed. But come on!

On other money matters, this morning I also wrapped up most of the grocery shopping for this month. More on that later.

No comments: