Wednesday, April 2, 2008

It RUBS Me The Right Way

This weekend, Matt and I walked to Reston's Used Book Shop (known popularly as RUBS), which is a pleasant walk from our house, often features live music, and has an impressive selection of, among other things, cookbooks. Particularly vegetarian cookbooks.

Cookbooks, like books which add to my professional birth library, are some of the few books I don't feel funny about purchasing instead of checking out from the library. In general, anything I'm not going to refer to on a regular basis is better off not taking up space on the bookshelf, as far as I'm concerned. But cookbooks--there's something we'll return to again and again.

This particular trip was no exception and we felt fortunate to walk away with two treasuries of vegetarian cooking, all for a total of $23. It felt like a steal.

We've divvied up the work of getting to know these books better, and so Matt has started reading The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking, while I'm currently reading The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook. The former book is hardcover and lovely and extensive, beginning with nine different "basic" ways to cook potatoes and moving on from there. The latter is softcover but equally massive, with special sections on produce and grains and desserts, as well as physical conditions like pregnancy. There's a section on lasagna (like Baked Fresh Lasagna With Asparagus Cream), a section just for risotto (Fresh Corn Risotto, anyone?), a gnocchi section, one for stews, and many more for things like breads and sauces and soups and frittatas. All of these manage to be simultaneously right up our alley but at the same time fresh and different.

I can't wait to get started!

2 comments:

Holly said...

I just use plain old internet explorer....i will ask around to my computer people however to see if they have any tips!

trebomb said...

If someone gave me $23 for two used vegetarian cookbooks, I don't think I'd feel like I'd been stolen from.