Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Pizza With Garlic-Sage Butter and Mushrooms

Pizza with Garlic-Sage Butter and Mushrooms


Recently I set out to make a pizza, but wanted something different than our standard tomato- or olive-oil based sauce.

Looking into the fridge, what immediately caught my eye was the butter we've started buying from a local farm. Rich, yellow, and incredibly tasty, I thought that what olive oil could do, this butter could probably do even better. (I was right.)

So I started out by sauteing mushrooms, garlic and a couple tablespoons of dried sage in it. One of the things I love about this butter is that it seems to have a really high fat (as opposed to water) content--meaning that when you cook with it, instead of evaporating or cooking off so that you're constantly adding more, it just hangs around and lubricates the food and absorbs flavor like you would not believe.

I made our usual pizza crust and let it rise on the stone.

I segregated the drippings and added a little milk and flour, like making mushroom gravy.



I then topped the crust with the sauce and the mushrooms, then added cheese. I baked it at 500 degrees for about 10 minutes.

The result, which you can see at the top of the page, was nothing short of heavenly, to look at and to eat.

No comments: