Monday, November 3, 2008

Dinner Tonight

This delicious monstrosity.

If you thought that creamy and cheesy reigned in our house before, that was nothing compared to my new embrace of Dr Brewer's challenge to eat 80-100 grams of protein a day. More on the Brewer Diet later, but suffice it to say that you don't get a second chance to form your baby's brain and organs, and suffice it to say this is a challenge I'm embracing with zeal. You won't find me lamenting our kindergartener's test scores, wailing "If only I'd had another piece of cheese!" Not me. Not eating more, necessarily, but just a little differently. A couple of our other recent protein-packed dinners: clam chowder and sausage and mushroom strata. More on those later as well; pictures to come.

UPDATE: I was actually pretty disappointed with the mac 'n cheese! Pepper jack is a delightful slicing cheese, but it turned out rather bland in the melting. I did make a few substitutions--whole milk for cream, green pepper for red, wheat pasta for white, and yellow onion for red--but I don't think that would explain the total lack of flavor in the finished product. Even with liberal amounts of salt and pepper, and a wallop of chipotle paste, I still didn't think it was anything to write home about. It certainly LOOKED delicious enough--I've been anticipating it for weeks--but, eh. Wouldn't make it again.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Do you think that using a different type of cheese would help the recipe? I looked at the pics and it looks so delicious that I want to try it, but almost always agree with how you rate food so am wondering if changing it a bit would help. What's your opinion?