Saturday, May 10, 2008

Instead of Sham-poo, I shall call it...

Sham-CRAP. 

Or a just plain sham.

Which is lame, because I really wanted to like it, and because actually my scalp did look and feel pretty darn good. I would say better than with anything else I've tried, actually. And it smelled great! But my hair? Like stiff, greasy FUR on my head. Now, when I mixed it up, I had questioned the wisdom of combining the soap with the apple cider vinegar, because one is very basic in pH and one very acidic, and it seems like doing so would just cause them to cancel one another out. And in fact they did end up clumping together in the jar, and I think it's what made it so difficult to get out of my hair. But just in case my ratio was wrong or something, I added a little more soap and a little more vinegar to the mix and washed my hair with it again. 

Same result.

So, since I've had success using the TJ's soap, and I've had success rinsing with the vinegar, and I don't believe that the addition of a few steeped herbs would make such a gross difference in the greasiness of freshly-washed hair, I'm going to believe that that was the case. Tomorrow (two showers is enough for today!), I'm going to try mixing up the shampoo sans vinegar and then doing the vinegar rinse afterward.

I'll let you know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie- I use a shampoo bar from Prairieland Herbs, a little mom and daughter company in Granger, Iowa. The ingredients are castor oil, water, coconut oil, palm kernel oil, olive oil, sodium hydroxide, rice bran oil, and essential oils. None of those laureth sulfates. I'm not sure of your goal for your shampoo experiments, but I feel okay about putting this one down the drain. I rinse with vinegar.
prairielandherbs.com