Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Vegetable Soup With Whole-Wheat Dumplings

I made this based on what we had around to use up, and I think it turned out great. Leftovers are even better. And, I don't think it could be any healthier if it tried. Or any cheaper, for that matter!
Vegetable Soup With Whole-Wheat Dumplings
Soup:
3-4 carrots
2-3 stalks of celery
1 onion
Tbsp. each of thyme, sage, and sea salt (or any salt)
Few cranks of black pepper
Handful of dried or fresh mushrooms
6 cups of water

Coat a large pan with enough olive oil to prevent sticking. Dice and saute carrots, celery, onion and mushroom until soft. Add spices. Pour in water and bring to a boil; let simmer until vegetables are tender enough for your satisfaction.

Dumplings:
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/2 c. milk
2 tbsp. olive oil

Combine dry ingredients and then add wet. Drop by sticky spoonfuls onto simmering pot of soup, then cover and steam for 10-20 minutes.
We served this with Matt's flatbread and it was delicious. It had all the body and savory flavor of any chicken soup I've ever had, minus the grease on top; and the dumplings were chewy, hearty, and perfect additions to the soup. Make it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made your dumplings using garham flour with chicken soup. Yummy!

Retrofresh said...

The whole wheat dumpling recipe is great. It's a quick and tasty alternative to matzo balls (mine are also whole wheat), which take all that time to cool in the fridge before you can simmer them.

Carrie said...

You know what? I've just completed a Daniel Fast and am trying to just maintain it because I really like it. Some friends are coming over Sunday and want chicken and dumplings...think these would be better than white flour dumplings for them? I no longer use white flour so I really don't want to waste the money on something I don't use...

Anonymous said...

i love the pictures of your happy family.