Friday, May 9, 2008

The Smoky Mountains


The Smokies were beautiful, but I don't think we'd ever drive in through Gatlinburg again. Can you say TACKY?

We parked near a ranger station and hiked about 3-1/2 miles into the backcountry for camping. Much of this, I will have you know, was uphill.

This is me looking cheerful because we haven't actually started yet. Just ask Matt how long it took for the complaints to start flowing ;)


Then we made camp for the night. Or rather, Matt made it, and I made dinner--Camper's Mushroom Soup, like we've made before.
There was a huge downpour in the night, but luckily we and our packs stayed completely dry! Then the fog rolled in and it was just beautiful.

We ran into a lot of wildlife on the way up...a huge snail, a giant slug, some big millipedes, and even a wild turkey (who moved too fast to have his picture taken).

The next morning, we packed up and headed to Atlanta to visit my aunt and uncle.

No comments: